Thursday 28 August 2014

Strength log for Thursday, August 28th

Almost, but no cigar!

Tested bench today. 

As I was working up, I got scared.  I did my usual 5 or 6 reps empty bar, the 4 or 5 at 95#, then 3 reps at 135# and a double at 165#.

I put what I thought was 185# on the bar and planned a single. I struggled way more than I should have at that weight.  Like I almost-didn't-get-it-struggled.

What did I do this week?  Am I fatigued from the ring dips?  We didn't do much overhead today, just some power snatch. Yesterday either. What could it be?

Upon closer inspection, I had put 35# plates instead of 25# plates, I had lifted 205# instead of 185#.

I little bit faster progression than I wanted but, it was done. 

So on to some heavy lifting.  I decide to confirm my PR at 215#, which went well. I lifted it unhesitatingly.

Debated whether to go big at 225# or go conservative and try for 220#.  Opted for caution and tried 220#.

Going down I felt my position wasn't quite right, and near the end with inches to go it just stopped going up.  Dave jumped the gun a bit, but I think my butt had already come off the bench at that point. 

Usually I can save myself by lifting my butt off the bench, better leverage, different muscle recruitment. That's my strategy for getting out of trouble, I lift as heavy as I can making sure my butt stays in contact and only if I can't do it, does the butt come off.  If the butt comes up off the bench I would not count it as a good rep. (unless it was marginal, depends how I'm feeling really).

I don't think I had it, but it was close, I think next time I'll get it for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment