Wednesday 26 February 2014

Parental panic

This has likely been the most terrifying experience of my entire life.

I've lived through four children with a variety of ailments including, but not limited to croup, asthma, bloody lips, kidney infections, strep, ear infections, vomiting, diarrhea and then some.

I've thankfully never had to call 911. Until today.

Delilah was up half the night throwing up, so I stayed home with her, since Kiza was leaving for an overnight trip to Toronto.

We watched some television and she slept a lot which wasn't surprising since she slept very little over night. 

As I was about to start making supper, she was waking up slowly when I heard her fall to the floor. When I went to see if she was okay I found her still on the floor, her head tilted strait up, eyes blinking rapidly, fists clenched, breathing erratically. 

She was having a seizure.

I picked her up and cradled her in my arms and tried to get her attention, but she wasn't there. Her eyes were open but she was unresponsive. 

Even after the seizure passed and her breathing stabilized I couldn't get her to talk. If I asked if she could hear me, she's nod, but that was the extent of her communication abilities. 

Start panic mode. I knew I should call 911, but what about Dex and Clarisse? I called my dearest friend Christyne to see if she could be on stand by if I needed her. Then I called emergency services and waited for an ambulance to arrive. All the while Delilah is still unresponsive.

I began shouting instructions to Clarisse and kept trying to get Delilah to talk.

It wasn't until the paramedics had attached a bunch of medical devices that I finally got a single word response to a question.

The plan was for me to follow the van, but as I frantically tried to pack snacks and whatnot, one of the medics came back to say she wasn't coping well and I should ride with them. 

So now I'm not even sure how I'll get home. In my panic I completely forgot to bring Deliliah's glasses, boot and coat.

By the time we got to the hospital she was almost back to normal.  So I felt really bad that Kiza cut her trip short and flew back almost as soon as she landed. But being a mother, she had no choice but to come back. Although this solved my ride home problem. 

Luckily for Kiza, the doctor showed up minutes after she arrived in our room, so no 3 hour wait for her.

Febrile seizures are benign, but man they are scary. She is completely fine now, sleeping soundly in her bed. Ordeal over. My adrenalin is just coming down now I think.

I didn't know they were benign, so I'm think I handled things fairly well.  Although there was no hesitation when the paramedics said we were going to the children's hospital, I don't think a hospital visit was entirely necessary.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness James. I cannot imagine how terrifying that was for you. I hope Delilah is doing okay today and you and Kiza are alright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back to normal. She doesn't even remember any of it (which is also a bit worrisome), but she was never in any real danger, so all is good.

      Delete