Thursday 30 October 2014

Strength log for Thursday, October 30th

Good day at the Y.

Did my physio homework and mobility work to ease my back and hips.

As I was about to start bench press, Dave arrives at the bench looking like he's going to set up.

I asked him if he was doing bench, quite surprised because he never does bench. I was even more surprised when he said yes.  So I said great! We can work together.  

I told him my plan to do 3 sets of 3 at 205#, and he laughed, saying he wouldn't be going that heavy, just wanting to see how 185# feels.

Now Dave is a way stronger guy than I am, his back squat is 405#, he can clean and jerk 275# (more once he improves his technique a bit), way stronger.

So once we got to 185# he decided to keeping going and see how it went.

Now this is week 3 for my strength program for me and a one off for him. I have no doubt that after a couple of weeks of regular bench we would destroy me, but today, I was stronger.

First set he fought for the third rep, and my first triple was as good as it gets.

Second set he went do doubles and I briefly fought the last rep of my triple.

Third set he fought the second rep, and I fought my third but got my 3-3-3.

It was nice to feel like a strong guy.

And like I say, if he continues, even once a week, he'll kick my ass by Christmas.

But not today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment