Monday 13 January 2014

Strength and mobility log for Monday, January 13th

I'm not in the habit of posting my lunchtime workouts unless it's my only workout of the day, but since I've added an additional strength component I've decide to start getting into that habit.

Laying more bricks, eventually there will be a foundation, and then a house.

Strength work was strict press. I tried and failed to reach my goal of 130# in the press, so following my success in the bench, I decided to follow the same forumla.

I did 3 sets of 3 reps at +90% of my 1 rep max. So 115#.

Warmed up with empty bar, 65# and 95#  (8, 5, 3 reps respectively).  Last rep of last set was a struggle, but my form held and I got it up.

Hopefully we won't be doing press tomorrow at Physics.

Mobility-wise I did my homework from physio.

Part one: working teres major with two different exercises:
  • holding a stick in my hands with elbow on a bench and leaning back with back straight.  Like this, but elbow in line with shoulders:
  • standing with my side against wall, so one shoulder, elbow  and wrist touching wall, back straight core tight, elbow bent at 90°; slide hand upwards along wall keeping all three points of contact.
and my squat depth
  • half kneeling wide stance forward bends. Knee on mat inline with hip front-back, but out from hip to the side. Other knee, directly over heel of foot which is ahead and to the side of other hip.  The tricky part (for me) is both hips have to be at the same height, tricky to verify and trickier to achieve and maintain.  But it's working, I've noticed already.





Torture, but these are the most important bricks to lay.


No comments:

Post a Comment