Tuesday 21 January 2014

Strength and mobility log for Tuesday, January 21st

At the Y today I decided to do ring rows. I was having trouble with the chest to bar pull ups this morning and muscle ups are not even on my radar, both would benefit from better pull to chest strength.  Plus, everything else is sore.

They don't technically have rings, so I used the TRX system. 

I started with my feet anchored 24" from the wall and did 3 sets of 8, making sure to bring my hands all the way to my ribs, bringing them as far back as I could.  I finally missed making contact with my ribs on the last rep of the last set. Perfect.

Next I anchored my feet 12" from the wall and did 3 sets of 5.  Same deal, but I had no problem making contact for all the reps.

Finally my feet against the wall I did 3 sets of 3 without issue. I may have to add some weight, like a vest or a plate on my chest.

I was going to do some mobility, but Dave was going some broad jumping and explosive drills so I asked him if we wanted to do some box jumps.  Had a great time, working up the height and working through the fear and mental game to.  

Physically he had no problem, he is so powerful, even when we got up to 36", but from 36" through to 39" where he ended up stopping, you could see the mental workout he was going through to convince himself to jump. He didn't miss a single one.  Which is good and bad, there's something to be said for set backs early on, which creates more respect of the movement.

At least he now has a number to try and beat.

I didn't him my max of 42"  (my goal is 46"), but it was fun nonetheless.

After that I worked on ankle flexibility and called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment