Monday 12 October 2015

Crossfit Team Series Part Two, day 2, Sunday, October 11th

Today our sister gym wasn't there.  I guess it was a one day special.

So we were under no pressure to get only two workouts done by 3pm.

We decided to start with the longer one, 200s, 200 shared sit ups while two team members held a barbell overhead (75# men/ 55# women) plus 200 shoulder to overhead (same bars) while two team members hung from a pull bar.  Reps only counted while both bars were overhead or both members were in dead hang.

Then we'd have the 4 individual benchmark WODs done in succession where we could just go all out, not needing to save anything for subsequent WODs.

We setup with all 4 bars (for when either both boys or both girls were holding overhead), and got to work.

I was the weakest link holding overhead.  My shoulder range isn't quite good enough to lock out in a stable overhead for long. I cut Kiza's sit ups short more than once.  We were trying to get 25 sit ups each before rotating.

Kiza devised the plan, where after sit ups you'd rest by stand on the next sit up person's feet, then two shifts on the overhead.  This sucked for me, but we managed.  I made up for it by being really fast on the sit ups and did some extra reps when I could.  We failed to record our time on this part so I estimated 6:50

Then came part two, the shoulder to overhead, this I was pretty strong at. I can hammer out a lot of push press at 75# and for the hanging, with all the work I've been doing on grip strength over the last month or so really paid off.

We chipped away and finished in 14:45.  Sub 15! We were pretty stoked with that, having seen the other do this yesterday around the 20 minute mark.

We rested a bit and set an artificial deadline of 1:30 to start the last workout.  I would be going first again, since I volunteered to do Karen (150 wall balls, scaled to women's Rx for the men, so 14# ball and 9' target) because no one else wanted it.

My plan was sets of 50, 40, 30, 20, 10.  As I mentioned to the team before starting, no plan survives first contact with the enemy.  The first 50 went well. The set of 40 was aborted at 10. Ugh, this would be ugly. I alternated between sets of 10 and 15, with on set of 20 and one of 18 mixed in there somewhere.

I simply ran out of shoulders after the previous workout. Managed 7:10, which isn't too bad at all.

Kiza took over with Grace, 30 clean and jerks for time at 65#.  She smoked it. 2:47! I look forward to seeing her tackle this at women's Rx.

Linda fought hard for Diane.  The deadlifts were a snap. There is no doubting the power of her posterior chain, but the strict press at 55# required every ounce of her will and strength.  She did amazing, until the very last rep, the pain must have been so bad, that her brain defaulted to push press, a clear no rep, and she knew it too, before she even locked it out, the look on her face said it all. "Crap, no I have to do it again, without a dip!!!". And she did it.  Simply amazing finish in 4:29!

Brandon took over with quite possibly the worst workout of the bunch. 75 snatches at 65# (only 10lbs less than Rx, what's with that?), I didn't know what his plan was, or if he had a plan, I yell out, "get to 10!" after he started, but he kept going and did a solid 15, so I'm like hell yeah, sets of 15, this will be quick. But no, the next set was only 5. Like my workout, it was falling apart. So he did like I did, chipped away, many sets of 3, some of 5, I think once he did a set of 10 in there. But eventually he made it, spent, he rolled on the floor. All that struggle and he still finished in a stellar 6:11!

We were done. We did remarkably well this week.  My legs don't work today, but that's temporary.  I'm really happy with our performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment