Sunday 11 October 2015

Crossfit Team Series Part Two, day 1, Saturday, October 10th

Feeling recovered enough with my eye to tackle this weekends events head on.

After Kiza squared away the kids for the afternoon, the team assembled.

Our plan to do all four events in relatively quick succession was thwarted by our sister gym  Crossfit YOW joining us to do the WODS.

They were all starting with event 7, the 30's of deadlift/calorie row/overhead squats. So we figured fine, we'll get in wave two.

But then they put everything away?!  We kept a rower out to do it ourselves, but almost everyone in "wave two" was doing event 6, the 7 rep max front squat from the floor (aka max clean+6 front squats), we figured it was better if everyone did the same.  So plan "C" it was.

So with almost no warm up, we just went to work.  The last time I attempted my max of 205#, I injured my wrist.  The most I've cleaned since is 185#.

I started with 155# and after 2 squats I dropped it, no point wasting reps. I let the others go, Brandon and I shared a bar and Linda and Kiza shared one.  Brandon did his first full set, then I put 185# on.  I was sure I'd get under it and then the squats would be easy. Which is exactly what happened.

I waited for the others to make subsequent attempts.  Brandon was apparently satisfied with his effort so after humming and hawing I put 215# on the bar. Hey, if I got under it I was gold, if I missed. No biggie, at least I tried.

There was no way.  I tried twice, and just couldn't commit. So in frustration I peeled the 5# plates and tried again right away at 205#.  Boom! I was stunned, I got under it seemingly effortlessly.  Hit my 6 more squats and was pretty happy.

This, I think, inspired Brandon try more and he got it too.  Even Linda got in on the action and got within 5# of her clean PR. I lost count how many times she tried to clean either 145# or 140#, it was clear she was determined to get under one of those weights.  When she got under 140#, the squats were a snap. Like me, her squat is way more than her clean.

Kiza's first attempt was so close to her 1 rep max clean, the cost/benefit of going for more just wasn't there.  Made more sense to save herself for the next workout.

Our team total was 585#.  Not too shabby.

This was hard but no lasting effect, so we were ready for another event. Once again with so many athletes there was no room to go right away.  So we waited and recovered while the next wave of athletes to had a go.

Since we had the rower out and the last wave was doing all different workouts, we did event 7, the 30s.

I went first,  30 deadlifts at 135# went fairly quickly, not very taxing.  The 30 calorie row started to get winded.

Then the fun started.  30 overhead squats, thankfully only 65#.  These went surprisingly well.  I made it to 26 unbroken.  I wanted to be under 5:00 but when I dropped, a quick glance at the clock revealed that it wasn't going to happen, 5:06, grr. So I picked it back up and did my last 4 reps, finishing in 5:31.

Can't be disappointed with that.  However this put a target on my back.  Not for Brandon, he knew he'd struggle with the OHS.  And what a struggle it was.  Much like when I watch Sylvie tackle that horrible rowing thruster workout in the Open, it was inspiring to watch such dogged determination. Every rep was a fight, and he fought and won, 30 times.  Kiza however was hell bent on beating me. Granted her bars were lighter. Of course she did beat my time with a 5:18. And Linda smoked it, her deadlifts are ridiculously fast.  She finished her leg in 4:17, giving us a total of 23:52.

We were all ready to stay until 4:00-4:30 and get another one done when we realized the gym actually closed at 3:00. Hmm. So we had to make plans to come back tomorrow.  Oh well, a good night's sleep might not be such a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment