Thursday 17 April 2014

Strength log for Thursday, April 17th

After nearly 48 hours without working out I was itching to get some lifting done.

I decided to do a clean and jerk complex I saw Adam and Julien doing at Open Gym at Physics a couple of weeks ago.

1 clean, 1 front squat, 1 jerk, 1 hang clean, 1 front squat, 1 jerk. Without putting the bar down.  The new lifting bar at the Y was perfect for this workout.

Warmed up with some hang power cleans and push presses and a few front squats with the empty bar and started throwing on some weight.

Did 95#, 115# and 135# before it started to get interesting.

At 155# I put on my lifting belt.  After that I started 10# increments instead of 20#.  Did 165# then 175#.

At 175# I made a mistake.  I tried to re-grip the bar with hook grip while still in the front rack and managed it, but not quite write.  Made it easier to get back to the hang, but the position wasn't strong enough for a hang clean.

I should've re-gripped at the hang, but I was getting fatigued, so I tried to clean it and failed.  I dropped the wait and walked away, but quickly decided to just dead lift it and resume the complex from there. And was successful,  hand clean, front squat and jerk.  Solid.

Then I put 185# on the bar.  My PR.  Cleaned it no problem.  Front squat no problem. Jerk, a bit wobbly, and a hair away from being locked out, but close enough that I could press it out quickly.

Re-gripped at the hang, but didn't have enough left to get under it.   I should  have taken some creatine this morning, that might have made the difference.

Definitely happy to have matched my PR after that much work.  Soon I'll test for a new clean and jerk PR.

No comments:

Post a Comment