Tuesday 5 June 2012

It's hard to believe it's been two weeks

Tomorrow will be two full weeks since the fire.  Doesn't seem like it has been that long.

I walked by the house this morning on my way to work, stopping to soak in the reality of it. Despite the boarded up windows and dumpster in the driveway, I could still visualize the inside as it was. As if I could walk in and everything would be as I remember it. Much like seeing Sheamus perk up in his last days, there was a glimmer of hope, only to be crushed by the harsh reality.

Like Sheamus, that house is gone, I have to accept that, only the blackened shell remains. It may end up being better in some regards, and very similar in others, but it will never be the same again.

Perhaps Sheamus and the old house were a packaged deal. I don't know if it is a good thing, but perhaps it will be, with memories of the old house being tied to life with Sheamus and vice-versa. (For some reason the thought of this is making me terribly sad).


I trust that by the time we move back in, the sting will be gone, we will have grieved the loss of our home, and will be able to rejoice and quickly make it our home once again.

The house we are renting is in the cul-de-sac across the street, we can see the house from the living room window.  It is a bit haunting, but incredibly convenient. I'll be able to maintain both yards (oh joy!), and we can watch the progress closely. Plus our routine, bus stops, schedule and friends and neighbours are pretty much the same.

We had an "IKEA furniture assembly party" on Sunday and collectively put together more than twenty pieces of furniture, a task that would have taken Kiza and I more than a week.  We are incredibly grateful to those that came to help.

Being a hyper-consumer for the past few days has given me a great appreciation for the ridiculous amount of packaging used on products. The amount of cardboard and plastic, Styrofoam inserts and zip ties is staggering.

After I set up our new computer and internet connection, I felt like we had finally arrived.  I couldn't have been more wrong. The list of things left to do seems to be getting longer, not shorter. Plus the oh so convenient yard maintenance will kick in before I'm ready.

But we are slowly settling into something of a routine, there is just a lot left to do and too little time to do it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment