Wednesday 3 October 2012

Eye made some progress

Well so much for that writing catalyst.

Not one single post in the entire month of September.  Ouch.

Last Thursday I waltzed into the Riverside Hospital and let retired Colonel W. Delperro sever some over zealous muscles controlling my left eye.

The results have been less than miraculous.  All this time of my brain ignoring the left eye has left it unable to synchronize with it brother.

The recovery, as usual, not as trivial as advertised.

Granted, it is still early in the healing process.  I only missed 2 workouts, and the abrasion on the eye was unpredictable, so I should be, and really am, thankful that it went so well.

My eye no longer shoots up and in, which is good.  I still have double vision (which I've lived with for 35 years and can manage quite well), but now the images are parallel, whereas before the left images was slightly rotated (about fifteen degrees).  On the rare occasions when the image from the left eye asserts itself it is less disorienting than before, which is a bonus.

The muscles are still in spasms according to the good Colonel, and will take a couple of weeks before they settle into the new normal. So things may yet improve. At that point we can measure the difference in angle and decide where to go from there.

There are only two choices. Corrective glasses with prisms, that would correct both vision and angle. Since I'm farsighted, I'd need glasses for reading for vision and angle, but I'd also need glasses for driving with only the angle correction.
The other option is corrective surgery to permanently alter the angle of the left eye to match the right when looking straight ahead, leaving me with regular reading glasses. 

Having committed to this course of action, I suspect I'll be returning to the Riverside Hospital over the winter to see this process to it's end.

My brain will decide on it's own whether turning my head to maintain stereoscopic vision, or reverting to discarding the image from one eye will be the best approach when not looking straight ahead.



I really should have done this years ago.

1 comment:

  1. Thankfully you post in a blog - now I'm aware that there might be another surgery in your future..... :)

    I'm proud of you for doing this.

    ReplyDelete