Tuesday 23 October 2012

Crossfit log for Tuesday, October 23rd

Great morning at Crossfit.

Strength work was cleans, full cleans, catching is a full front squat. Working to a 2 rep max, so 2 in a row, but still heavy.

The catch has been my weak link, I've been able to lift 150# high enough to get under it, but when it lands on my deltoids, cradled at the end of my fingers, I usually either panic, or am off balance and have to bail. Once I've caught it there's no problem, I can front squat a lot more than I can clean.

So today as I worked up I really focused on the catch, even with lighter weight. As it got heavy around 135#, coach Isabelle corrected my starting position. I was in more of a dead lift start and need to lift my chest more, and lower my hips (still above the knee, but lower than a dead lift), I kept everything tight and initiated with my knees (as online Crossfit coach Mike Burgener says to do).

I landed the 135# quite easily, for two reps, but my back was rounded and my weight forward when I caught it. I was able to hold it so when upped it to 140#, I really focused on the catch again, given the new starting position. I nailed it. Wasn't gonna stop there, did 145# (my previous best), twice in a row. So I had to try 150# for at least one rep. Sure enough, bang! Well naturally I had to ride the success and went for 155#.

Usually I says to my self "man this is heavy", today I said "I can do this. I'm Superman", and I nailed it. It was awesome. It just felt right.

The WOD was not so fun.

5 rounds of 3 minutes AMRAP on 1:00 rest
- 3 power cleans, 115#
- 6 push ups
- 9 air squats

I think this is one of the ones we'd done wrong before, because the 1:00 was left out, and we couldn't figure it out.

It sucked just as bad with the rest. Got 4 rounds the first time, then 3 the rest. The scoring makes no sense, since if you are close the begining of a round with little time left there's no motivation to get more reps. Either score should be reps or you should start where you left off the previous round. But I'm not telling the coach that, it sucked enough as it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment