Tuesday 8 March 2016

Crossfit log for Tuesday, March 8th: Snatch Day

Well that was epic and unexpected.

I arrived early at Crossift, and since it was Coach Connor the doors were open.  Knowing it was snatch day, I immediately started mobility work.

I used the orb on my pecks, I used a foam roller on my rib cage, intercostals, sat in a deep squat and shifted my weight from foot to foot stretching the hip.

The warm up was 10 empty bar overhead squats and 10 burpees and 2 shuttle runs for 4 minutes.


The first set of OHS was same as always, tough and tight, maybe a bit better the normal. But the second set felt really good.  My position felt really solid. Focused on spreading the bar and it really helped.

Part two was a 10 minute EMOM of snatches. Minutes 1-3, 3 touch and go, minutes 4-6, 2 touch and go, the last 4 minutes heavy singles.

During warm up I decided to try a squat snatch. I try every once in a while. First attempt was a typical fail, but I notices I wasn't spreading the bar when I was catching it.  So I tried again.

Bam. I totally landed a snatch in a squat with an empty bar from the hang.

After nearly 5 years of physio and mobility work, it finally happened.

Tried again, and got it again.

Well now, I went and got some plates to try from the ground.  At 65# I totally nailed it.  Twice.

Upped it to 75# missed one, nailed one.  I was pretty stoked.

As the EMOM was starting I put 95# on and reverted to split snatch, but I had to try one squat snatch at 95# but it was too much.   Baby steps.

So I did the EMOM split style at 95# for the first 3, 115# for the next 3 and 125#, 125#, 135# for minutes 7, 8 and 9.  The last round I bumped it to 155# which would have been a 10# PR, I was still high from the squat snatches. But it was too much.

I quickly peeled of 10# to 145# and had a great pull but just didn't commit to getting under it.  Meh.  Still feel great!

The WOD was a gasser,

3 rounds for time:
- 10 thrusters 115#/ 75#
- 15 calorie row
- 20 wall balls.

Holy hip extensions Batman!  Split the difference on the barbell and went with 95#.

Did the first round unbroken in 2:45. Then died.

Finished in 11:28.    That last row and the last 20 wall balls were torture.

Happy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment