Monday 2 March 2015

Year of Strength comes to an end, mission accomplished.

After having spent nearly a year and a half working on mobility at the Y during my lunch hour, 14 months ago I changed gears away from mobility to strength development.

This has been the two first steps in systematically and relentlessly tackling my weaknesses. Instead of rolling, stretching or mobilizing a body part I'd be doing back squats, front squats, shoulder press, bench press or dead lifts every lunch hour.

My programming was rudimentary.  Much like a Running Room marathon training plan, an advanced athlete likely wouldn't use my plan, but I'm at the early enough stages of my development that any strength specific work will show results.

I'm glad I have the experience of running in this regard, I know the risk of assuming that what worked in the past will always work.  The truth is, as you evolve as an athlete, the strategies used in your early days won't always work.  Eventually you'll have to learn new strategies if you don't want to plateau.

My programming followed a basic 6 week program, based on percentages of max weight.
- Week one was 5 sets of 5 reps at 75% of max.
- Week two, 3 sets of 5 at 80%
- Week three, 5 sets of 3 at 85%
- Week four, 3 sets of 3 at 90%
- Week five, 3 singles or 1 double at 95%
- Week six, retest.

Sometimes I'd take a week off, sometimes my timetable got interrupted by life. I didn't worry about it, I'd either start over, or step back by 2 weeks keep going from there, depending where I was in the program.

In the second half of the year I added an interesting twist.  I'd work up to a heavy single before peeling back to do my reps.  This would be between 95% and 105% of my current max. If it felt good I'd push, if it didn't I'd peel back sooner, if it really didn't feel good, I call it a day before hitting my reps.

This made the first set of reps feel way easier, and the last set way harder.  The opposite of starting reps right after warm up.

Somewhere along the way I set a goal of 315# back squat by year's end.  Wherever the other lifts were at that point, so be it.

Christmas came around and I was still at 295#, so I figured since my "year of mobility" went 4 months over there's no reason not to continue my "year of strength" for at least one more 6 week cycle.

Today marks the last day of that cycle and here are the results.

LiftStarting weight (12/26/14)Ending weight (03/03/2015)Difference in lbs% of increase
Bench1852304524.32%
Dead lift2853658028.07%
Press1201452520.83%
Back squat2453157028.57%
Front squat2152756027.91%
Overhead Squat951455052.63%


In terms of percentages, the biggest gain was my Overhead squat, which more due to mobility improvements than strength development (I did continue mobility work, but it was not my focus).

My dead lift was also a huge gain, but I don't think the 285lbs starting weight was really my best at the time.

My back squat and front squat are where I really made a difference, in large part due to the improved mobility, but also sheer hard work.

I am really happy with the result of the phase, except my bench and overhead didn't thrive in the second half the way my squats did.  I may spend more time on them even as I change my focus.

Since it is time to change gears again and focus on power, endurance and some gymnastics skills to be a more well rounded athlete, I need to work out my new plan which will include running 3 times per week and more Olympic lifting.


I'll give myself the week to sort out the details and start next Monday.

I am a little bit worried I'll fall into a funk after hitting a goal I've been working towards for so long.  I mean all that work for essentially 18 seconds of accomplishment. 

I think since I have more goals already lined up and this was just a stepping stone, that I'll be okay. 

Enjoy the journey I guess.  Or as I've been saying all along just lay the bricks, the rest will take care of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment