Thursday 21 November 2013

Physio and mobility work: it does the body good.


After my frustrating experience with one armed overhead kettle bell squats, I made an appointment with my physiotherapist. I've done a ton of work over the past year to get my body in a state where I can perform most of the movements required by Crossfit, movements that every normal healthy body should be able to perform.

The good news is I have the necessary range of motion, but I lack the motor control to achieve that range of motion.  Which is especially good news because it's easier to fix than flexibility and mobility issues.

He gave me some more exercises, plus I found a great blog post by Eric Ressey with some more exercises of overhead work, and I've been using the foam roller to beat the crap out of my pecs, lats, traps and back.

On top of all this I'm still working my hamstrings, glutes and hips to try and get deeper in the squat, and Mitch suggested my quads may be tight.  Great.  There aren't enough hours in the day to roll and massage an stretch and mobilize and strengthen all the body parts I need to address!

At least it's progress, but more importantly, it's a plan, that will lead to more progress.

My year of mobility is running out.  I may have to extend it a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment