Tuesday 28 May 2013

Coach James?

Okay. I had a feel good moment at the gym.

I guy I met at the gym has been curious about Crossfit, so I gave him one of the simpler standard WODs to do last week (Cindy. 20min AMRAP 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 15 air squats). He did really well and wanted something more challenging to try.

I know it's not a good idea to coach Crossfit when you aren't certified, and at the Y no less, but I didn't want to curb his enthusiasm, so turns out this morning's workout seemed like a good fit.



21-15-9
Push Press 95#
Pull ups
Kettle bell swings 20kg

He'd never done kettle bell, so I gave him a rudimentary intro course, it was just swings and I only gave him 16kg, so it wasn't so bad. He's a strong guy so we put 95# on the bar and he went at it.

Now he would've gotten "no rep" for most of his pull ups, but man he was doing them strict! and not all the push press were locked out, but he wasn't driving the bar from his shoulders, and the kettle bell I only told him to be over eye level. But still he did it in 8:10!

I thought he might puke. But he was really happy with the workout.

So afterwards in the locker room, some random guy asks me:
-are you a personal trainer?
-me? no.
-ex military?
-ha! Noooo.
-cause they know their stuff.
-uh...
-I saw you giving that guy a class...
-oh, yeah, I do Crossfit, he was just curious, so I gave him a sample

He pretty much ask if he could ask me for pointers on technique. Felt pretty good.

Looking forward to my Olympic Lifting Coaching certification this weekend. This may be the start of something big.

No comments:

Post a Comment