Friday 2 March 2012

School registration, take two.

Two weeks ago we registered Delilah to the same school her older siblings went to.  I know the school, I know the team, I know many of the kids and their parents.

However, we'd taken an interest in another school in the area, a personalized education school, based on the Montessori method, currently headed by the former principal of the above mentioned school the older kids attended, Pauline.

Pauline and I go back a long way, and we get along very well.  The school has limited enrolment, so last year we decided to put Delilah and Dexter on the list and evaluate later if we felt it was a good fit.

Dexter doesn't started school until 2015, he's like 4th on the list.  Delilah, however starts next September, her year was full, and she was over 20th on the waiting list. Since siblings of current students get dibs on spots, we figured, after Dexter started, we could switch Delilah.

Well imagine our shock when one evening last week I got a phone call from Pauline. There was a spot available for Delilah.  Suddenly it wasn't theoretical anymore, it was real and we needed to make some decisions.

So last Monday, Kiza and I visited Pauline at the school and she gave us the tour and the low down on the philosophy and methodology.  We spoke with many of the students (all extremely articulate, made so by the strong emphasis on oral presentations at the school), and were very impressed by the entire package.

Also, since this whole school thing is new ground for Kiza, I thought it only fair that I be starting fresh too. 

So despite having gone through the process once before, today, we registered Delilah for junior kindergarten.

I have a really good feeling about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment