Wednesday 9 November 2011

Running log for Wednesday, November 9th

So I did a treadmill workout I've been meaning to try at lunch today.

It's from an old issue of Canadian Running in a piece by Matt McInnes (http://runningmagazine.ca/2009/10/secti ... he-spring/)

He calls the workout "Frog in a pot of boiling water" and describes it thus:
Matt McInnes wrote:By the end of this workout, you’ll be running at a pace that you never would have thought possible from a cold start. Again, start at the pace of a typical moderate run. Now increase your pace by 0.5 km/hr every two minutes. How long is the workout? You decide. An appropriate starting pace will allow you to get to 20 minutes without significant exertion. (For a longer workout, increase the pace only every three or four minutes.) You’re unlikely to last beyond 30 minutes. Humans, unlike frogs, always jump out of the pot.


The treadmill I use at the Y can only be adjusted in 0.2 km/h increments so I alternated 0.4 and 0.6 km/h increases. Started at 5:39/km pace (11.6 km/h) and after 2 minutes went to 12.0, then 12.4, 13.0, etc... made it to 14:00 maxing out at 4.27/km.

I'm going to do this workout regularly and see how long I can go. I might start at 6:00/km next time for a longer workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment