Wednesday 25 September 2013

Single Parenthood.

Sucks.

Now don't panic, Kiza is just on a business trip for 11 days (she gets back tonight) and in a Facebook status update after a particularly difficult meal I posted:
I'm sure I don't understand how all single parents aren't alcoholics.

Caring for a nearly 5 year old and a 2 and a half year old is a lot of work; for two people.  It's exhausting and relentless for a single parent. 

I quite honestly don't know how people do it.

I guess you find help. I was able to solicit the help of my oldest son Caleb so I could go to the gym in the early morning hours (which really didn't help that whole exhausted thing, but I digress).

You need your friends and family, that's for sure.  But I have no family in town and being an intravert, soliciting help from friend requires more mental energy than taking care of two small children!

Thankfully we have a fairly well established schedule, so I survived the first 11 day stint fairly well.  I only resorted to the Shiraz on two occasions and didn't even touch the Bailey's. 

Kiza arrives tonight.  I miss her so much. And not just to share the parenting duties.  This is the longest we've been apart since we've known each other. I miss just looking over and seeing her there.   I miss jockeying for counter space in the kitchen in the mornings. 

She's back for a week, then gone another 10 days.  I'm going to just try and enjoy this week with her.  I'll deal with my next dose of single parenthood again when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment