Friday 27 July 2012

Crossfit log for Friday, July 27th

Physio is definitely working.

I've never been able to do handstand push ups.
Almost a year ago, I wrote:
Anyway, then we worked on hand stand push up skills. I have none. Managed to get a handstand going, but as soon as I locked out my shoulders it would push my body forward away from the wall.

I haven't had any success since and have always resorted to doing them with my feet on a box in a pike position.

You need proper shoulder position to keep your balance when locked out at the apex. Because of my poor mobility I've always fallen away from the wall when I lock out because my shoulder drives my torso forward. I lose my lumbar spine as my back arches to allow my arms to reach back enough to be in line with my centre of gravity.

Not today. After a week and a half of physio, working to get my shoulder in a proper position for rotation, we had handstand push ups in the WOD, so during the skills part before the WOD I figured I was due to try them again. Well. I just walked up to the wall, got into a handstand and belted out 5 in a row as if I'd been doing them my whole life.

This brought mixed emotion. I was very excited by this accomplishment, but I knew if Isabelle saw, she'd make me do them in the WOD. Excitement won out.

After strength work of finding 1 rep max close grip bench press (146lbs) it was right into the WOD

3 rounds for time:
- 10 knees to elbows
- 5 handstand push ups + 5 hand release push ups
- Run 400m (330m)

Did toes to bar first round, but after that, stuck with knees to elbows for the handstand/regular push ups did 5 + 5 first round, 3 + 7 second round and 4 + 6 third. I'll take it.

Time: 9:56

No comments:

Post a Comment