Thursday 25 April 2013

Leaving the physio nest.

Interesting day.

Started off a physio to assess and adjust my treatment to be able to perform an overhead squat. His first question was: "so, are you able to do an overhead squat". I was honest with him, I hadn't tried. I was terrified that all the hard work I'd been doing would have been for nothing. If everything was flexible and mobile enough, I'd have no excuse, it would be just me that couldn't do it.

So we walked out to the exercise area and he laid down a length of wooden two by four. (which is only 1.5" by 3.5",  carpentry gah!), I stood on it with just my heels. He handed me a wooden dowel which I held over my head and proceed to perform a nearly flawless overhead squat, upright body, hips below knees, arms locked out over head. I laughed out loud. (yes the evasive literal LOL)

We tried with a hockey stick and I couldn't do it. But with some practice I was getting close. It's now an issue of neurological muscle control, I have all the range of motion, flexiblity and skills necessary, I just need to practice, with very little weight, moving my center of gravity back and forth while in the deepest squat I can get to train my muscles how do do it. I can practice with something under my heels at first and work my way down to barefoot.

But I don't need him anymore. I'm on my own. I've left the nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment