Wednesday 29 August 2012

Stripped to the bone

One week and three months have passed since the fire and the demolition is just about complete. They are applying the smoke seal on the skeleton that used to be my home. The smoke seal is white, which surprised me, taking the skeletal metaphor a good step closer to reality.

Three months, yet it seems like ages ago. We've since settled into our temporary existence and are making the best of our situation.

But I miss my house. I miss my room, my closet, my shower, everything really.  I liked my house.  I hope I'll like it still, even after the renovations. We are meeting the contractor this week to go over what we want to do. It is just overwhelming.

Much of the house had a very seventies feel, which both Kiza and I loved. It reminded us of the houses we grew up in. I want to maintain that feel, but given carte blanche, it's hard not to imagine the possibilities.

Granted we want to stay within the budget and not spend on frivolous upgrades, but removing a wall here, moving a closet there, subtle changes can have dramatic effects.

It's going to be interesting to say the least.


No comments:

Post a Comment