Friday 31 August 2012

Crossfit log for Friday, August 31st

Good workout today.

We did narrow grip bench press to 3 rep max.  Wasn't stellar, succeeded at 135lbs, failed at 155lbs, called it a day.  We only started doing bench press in the last few months, and I kinda laughed.  Crossfit being so different than most gyms and bench being the ubiquitous gym benchmark, I'd jokingly call bench press days "Goodlife days" (but not in front of Frank, the owner/coach).  I've since learned the value of bench, as it helps the other Olympic lifts, especially the second half of the clean and jerk.  That being said, I like the regular bench press much more than close grip. Bench doesn't come up often, so when it does and it's close grip, it's a bit of a bummer, because I know it'll be that much longer before an other regular one comes up. Oh well.

The WOD was an interesting one.

1000m row
plus three rounds of:
- 20 dead lifts @ 135lbs
-15 wall ball sit ups  (for a demo see this video: http://vimeo.com/41059872)

My time was 13:35

I was satisfied with that.  The row really made the first set of dead lifts difficult, but after the the first set of wall ball sit ups, it was a bit easier.  By then I'd caught my breath from the rowing. The third round of dead lifts got hard again because my grip strength was almost gone, even using a hook grip I still had trouble hanging on to the bar. I tried to use my breathing to help brace for the dead lifts and it seemed to work. Albeit the weight wasn't very high at 135lbs, my form was good for all three rounds and my back wasn't the limiter, my grip strength was.  I was glad when it was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment