Thursday 16 June 2011

First of Five - Britannia Beach 5km

It wasn't until we had gotten everybody loaded up in the van and were out on the highway that I actually stopped to think about where we were going. You know it's been a long time when you suddenly it dawns on you and you get that giddy feeling "We're going to the races!!!"

I wasn't expecting much from this race and I met my expectations

I wasn't particularly well trained, nor properly hydrated, but this was the first of the 5 x 5km in 5 weeks and a benchmark to see how this whole Crossfit Endurance experiment would help or hinder my progression towards a sub 20:00 5km.

Clarisse and Delilah were doing the 1km.

We met Jesse at the start/finish area, setting up her ZoomPhoto camera. (thanks for the water!)

I tried to at least get a good warm up in. My legs didn't have much pep.

The field was small so I was practically on the start line. There were more than a few youngsters who I expected to go out too fast so I positioned myself to let them go and pass them later.

The race started on grass and moved to the recreational path, through a wooded area then out to the edge of the Carling before turning around and heading back. The last 500m before the turn around is uphill. Here I stopped. Walked for about 10 seconds either side of the turn around and hoped the rest and the downhill at that point would kickstart the return trip.

It worked to a certain extent. My throat was really dry. I grabbed an Eload cup the first time through the water station, which was gross. So I stopped and made sure I got a water on the way back, then set to the task of bringing it home. I didn't have my garmin, so I have no idea what my pacing was, but it doesn't really matter.

I gave what I had to give, and now the work can start.

Delilah finally managed to not finish last! Progress! And Clarisse ran a 5:35 kilometer finishing 6th out of 66. Not bad at all.

Results.

Placed: 19th out of 171
Time (Chip) 22:55 avg page: 4:35
Cat. placement (Men 40-44) 3rd out of 5
Gender placement: 18th out of 77 (chicked by one girl)

No comments:

Post a Comment