Tuesday 3 December 2013

Suprise! Surgery is next week.

So I went to my "pre-surgery" appointment with my ophthalmologist, to once again confirm the angle of variance in my eyes for my surgery in April.

Should have been a routine, boring, run of the mill appointment, but it wasn't.

There was a cancellation for December 11th, 8 days away and if I was interested I could take that slot.  Eek!

So all of a sudden I'm signing consent forms, checking my calender, texting Kiza to confirm her availability.  Craziness!

My last surgery was more straightforward, with a local anaesthetic, as the just severed a muscle that was pulling my eye up, because the alternate muscle pulling it back down was essentially absent.

This time, they will be repositioning the muscles that pull my eyes inward on both eyes to hopefully get them parallel, at least when looking forward.

This will require general anaesthetic, and will put the two images from my eyes very close proximity to each other, which may drive me mad, since it may be more difficult to ignore one of the images.

I am very hopeful, but more than a little apprehensive.

I want my eyes to be normal.  I know, in my logical mind, that it is not a very likely possibility (actually not a possibility at all).  Perhaps if I'd tackle this years ago, it might have been, but even then, not likely.

The best I can hope for is better than it is now.

They say that happy people don't have the best of everything, the make the best of what they have, so that's what I'll do, whatever may come of this, I'll make the best of it.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck James! Fingers crossed that the surgery and healing process goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete