Tuesday 17 December 2013

Crossfit log for Tuesday, December 17th - back in the game.

Between getting sick, surgery, recovery, falling down the stairs and spraining my toe, it's been 13 days since my last real workout.

I've gone to the Y a couple of times for mobility work and did one day of squats and press.

So given my nearly 2 weeks off, I decided, when I went back I'd do women's scaled for 1 full week, just to get back in the swing of things.

This morning was bitterly cold, and I did not want to get out of bed to go to the gym at 5:00am, but after 5 minutes of self-talk I came to the obvious conclusion that I'd regret it if I didn't, and I would very likely feel fantastic afterwards.

So I crawled out of bed, took my new nutritional supplement regimen and got in my frigid car for the short drive to the gym.

Strength was two series of 4 sets each:
series one: 1 power clean + 5 strict press  (increase weight each set)
series two: 1 hang clean + 3 split jerks + 1 clean

series one I did 95#, 100#, 105#, 110#, on the last set I could only muster 3 presses.

series two I did 125#, was planning on 135# but decide to go easy being my first day back.  Split jerks weren't happening with my sore toe (from falling down the stairs two days post op, for unrelated reasons)!  So I did power jerk instead.

After my second set, coach called last set because we had to start the WOD. It was a short one, but we'd have to go in waves since we were 7 and there are only three rowers.  So three sets for series two, instead of 4.

WOD was "Jackie"
Same for men and women, no scaling option.  So there goes my plan to go easy.

1 round for time:
1000m row
50 thrusters 45#
30 pull ups.

I've been pretty consistent lately with Jackie,  going 10:26 (PR) 10:44 and 10:49.

Today I went 10:36.  I tried to not drop the bar during the thrusters, while still doing the 10 reps then rest, but in the rack position.  I made it to 30 reps but then had to put it down.   Finished of with 2 sets of 10, putting the bar down again between sets.

Pull ups were horrible.  First 10 not a problem, second 10 turned into 5, then coach gave me a "no-rep" on the last of the second 5, so I had 11 left instead of 10.  Grrr.   So I finished with 5 then 6.

I'm not sure how I feel about it.  On the one hand, I was within my recent scores, but I was fresh and well rested. But maybe a bit out of shape after two weeks off.

I won't harp on it, the nice thing about Crossfit is tomorrow I start with a blank slate.

I'm really glad I got up.  I will take tomorrow off, I expect I'll be sore, but I'll be back at it on Thursday for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment