Tuesday 26 April 2011

My Crossfit Adventure begins

Given my lack of time, overall body strength and flexibility, my poor posture, my focus on shorter distances, and despite all these, my persistent desire to improve, I have decided to try Crossfit Endurance to train for my running events for the next season.

Here's what I've learned so far.
-I have serious flexibility issues, worse than I thought especially in the shoulders and hips.
-I have a weak back.
-I will benefit tremendously from CF in overall fitness, and mid-line stability and strength which will help my running in the long run.
-I love running more than CF.

I may have to add yoga to the mix to address my lack of flexibility.

The distinction I'm finding myself make is that most of the people in CF, that is their sport. For me running and triathlon are my sports and CF is just a training tool.

Other than the "9 foundational movements" and some plyometrics they do, I don't see my self getting "in to it" to deeply. Which makes it hard to do the posted WODs (workout of the day). I may have to design my own which focus on the basics.

I'm still at firmly in the learning stages of CF. So far in my once a week intro course, we've covered: burpees, push-ups, air squat, shoulder press, push press, push jerk, power clean and front squat.
This week we added Thrusters, Sumo Dead-lift High Pull and Over head squats (which I lack the shoulder flexibility to do properly). No weight, just technique. I'll definitely be scaling.

It's all very high level, but it's definitely helping.

I'm better at some things than other, and as I mentioned, it is really making my weaknesses stand out (which is good, so I know where I need to work)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment