Friday 18 January 2013

Seems I'm a little bit goofy

My Superboy costume was the best 60 bucks I ever spent.


Turning 42 this year, I wanted to run a marathon close to my birthday, but that really didn't work out. So as it happens, the Walt Disney World Marathon fell 4 days after I turned 42.2. This had to be a sign. When Kiza gave the go ahead to register she gave one caveat. You don't go all the way to Disney to run "just a Marathon". It was on my bucket list, so I figured: why not. I registered for the Goofy race and a half challenge. I really wanted that Goofy medal. (I didn't do the "Dopey" as mentioned in this post when I registered)

The next task was a costume, I had to do it in a costume. I found the coolest Superboy costume on a Chinese web site, $40 plus $20 shipping. I hummed and I hawed and in a moment of courage or insanity, I ordered it. I was a little surprised when I actually received it, I somehow imagined it was a scam or it would look nothing like the picture. I couldn't have been more wrong. This would make the race so much more fun, but I couldn't have imagined just how much more.

Training was not stellar. Cold and wet days, running back to back long runs, getting sick, all made it difficult to get good quality runs in. For the first time in my running life I found myself loathing the thought of going out for a run. Usually after 10 or 20 minutes of any given run, I'd find a groove and be happy with my run. Not this time. Every step of every run seemed more laborious than the last. I really wasn't enjoying my training. My longest training weekend was a 15km/31km combo, and that was only once. The rest were 10km/20somethingkm or a 30km with no Saturday run, and there were too few of those.


I did have a few cards up my sleeve though, I had trained running continuously, plus my Saturday pace was typically faster than the longer Sunday runs. On race day my legs wouldn't be as trashed since I was running the half with Kiza at a 6:30/km average pace, about a minute per km slower than in training, plus doing 10's a 1's which would ease the toll taken on my legs. Also, much of my training was on poor footing, in varying depths of snow and slush, and race day would be on dry pavement which would also be less taxing.


The only other variable was the weather and how a full Lycra bodysuit would affect my ability to run in hot Florida weather. Early race start and water retention of the suit might mitigate the risks.


The parade of zombies was much more lively and jovial than at Ironman. These people were way happier than they should've been before 4:00am. The Disney affair is very much an event for beginners. The average finish times are way slower than most races. Consequently, everyone is just so incredibly happy to be there, often in disbelief that they are actually doing this. It was rather refreshing. Not a lot of egos.


The march was endless, (and we were still in the bag check area!) and I was quite chilly even in my bodysuit. Huge port-a-potties lines congested passage to the corrals, we inched our way to the start area with the clock ticking dangerously close to start time. Ultimately we arrived at corral B with only 1 minute to spare before the 5:00am cut off at which time they said if you weren't in your corral you couldn't start the race. Clearly they didn't enforce this rule.


I liked the fireworks better than the Army Run's Howitzer. Being in corral B we got to see them 3 times, wheelchair start, corral A start and our start.





There were lots of long roads and parking lots, but there were so many runners you didn't really get that lonely feeling. Once in while there would be an entertainment station with a DJ or a marching band (standing still) or photo ops (which had long line ups, so we opted not to stop). Every one of these places where spectators were close enough to see us (and there was good enough lighting) I would hear: "Go Superman!"

At around mile 4, we came around the motor speedway (the out side, not the inside like the Marathon would) and caught our first glimpse of Cinderella's castle. That was magical. It was draped in pixie dust. But it sure seemed far away.


Coming into Magic Kingdom, even the staff (or "cast members" as they are called) would call out: "Go Superman!". But nothing could prepare me for Main street USA. The crowd erupted for us.


Well, for Superman. Poor Kiza, she was just "the girl running next to Superman". (sorry babe, next time you wear the costume)!


We stopped to take a pic of Kiza with Cinderella's castle in the background then ran around Tomorrow Land (Kiza commented that it must be hard to keep that from becoming Yesterday land), then through the castle to the sound of blaring trumpets. Very cool indeed.



And just like that, we were through Magic Kingdom and back on the lonely road headed back to Epcot.


Just before the end there was a rather nasty up hill (overpass I think) were the soldiers from Toy Story were "encouraging" people up the hill.


Next thing I know Sarge is yelling "Superman! Get down and give me three", stunned, I dropped and started doing push ups. Make it FIVE he says (apparently to give Kiza enough time to snap a pic)! Thanks a lot. I can't believe I actually did that, but I didn't have the presence of mind to do anything else. At least it made for a good pic.





Coming back in to Epcot, the cheers for Superman started again with a vengeance, as daylight increased more people could see the giant red "S" from further away. I decided then and there that I had to wear the costume for the Marathon, the benefit of the crowd support out weighed the risk of heat, and I would use my mitigation strategy too.


Kiza's foot held out, we finished strong in 2:19:02, all things considered, an admirable time. I was very proud of her. Then we walked all over the place and back looking for the buses. Frustrating end to the event, but we were happy once we were on our bus, headed back to the resort and the kids.


The Marathon was going to be a crap shoot, I think it was the first time I went into a race really not knowing if I'd be able to finish it. I was under trained for Vegas in 2007 but in complete denial. This time I knew I didn't have adequate training.


I decided not to run with a watch or Garmin during the Marathon and rely on perceived effort. Since the plan was to go as hard as I could while the sun was still down and bank as much time as I could before it got too hot. I'd likely have to ease off at the end anyway so it made sense as a race strategy. Although I had no real goal, I did want to try and make it under my 3:58 from Vegas (didn't happen).


I decided to walk the mile markers, it wouldn't be exactly 10s and 1s but it would do. Turns out they each had a clock so I'd have an idea of my progress.


Once it started to warm up I began pouring water on my suit at each water station. This turned out to be a very effective strategy. I was through the half in 1:56 and change and hadn't seen the sun yet. I kept pushing the pace and it wasn't until mile 15 that the sun finally broke the tree line and even then only when we were at the top of an overpass.


By ESPN Wide world of Sports, there was no hiding from the sun anymore, but the water retention in the suit was doing it's job. Things got considerably harder by mile 19, but that was more to do with my fitness than the heat.


If the the cheers for Superboy were amazing during the half, they paled in comparison to the Marathon, I felt like a rock star. The thing with Superman, much like the Disney characters, everybody recognizes that big red "S", young and old, across all cultures. In the parks it was even better, the staff would call out to me, parents would point me out to their kids, if I struck a Superman flying pose with one arm out front, the crowd would go wild. Running through the baseball stadium when I was on the jumbo-tron, the stadium went crazy.

Definitely the best 60 bucks I ever spent.

The last few miles were really rough, I don't remember ever looking forward to a finish line so much. Coming around the Pavilions of the world in Epcot I had nothing left, even the cheers for Superman weren't enough to put any kind of bounce in my step. I ran, well jogged, to be sure, I took no unscheduled walk breaks, but I was sure looking for those mile markers at the end, let me tell you.


Then there it was, just like the day before, the finish line was before me, the crowd cheered, the announcer cried "Here comes Superman", and I did it. I ran a Marathon. No matter how you slice it, that is a very cool thing to be able to say, regardless of whether you did the half the day before or not. I was Superman.

During the race there were signs along the road. I first noticed them along the worst part of the course, where it goes along the waste treatment centre, the signed talked about how much water is recycled and whatnot. I mostly ignored them, but at one point my eye fell upon one that was a quote by Walt himself, it said: "It's kinda fun doing the impossible" - Walt Disney. It really struck a chord, I felt like I was doing exactly that, the impossible.


Donald Duck Half Marathon 2:19:02

Mickey Mouse Marathon 4:04:29

Goofy Race and a half challenge: 6:23:31


I couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment